Giant's Causeway Tour
VIEW THE SPECTACULAR giant's causeway COASTLINE WHILE exploring LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY, THE HISTORY AND THE FOLKLORE OF THE CAUSEWAY COAST.
Our tours are suitable for keen amateur photographers and non-photographers as there is plenty to see, do and discover along the way. More experienced photographers will also pick up pro tips and techniques.
WHAT TO BRING:
Camera (any make, model or era)
Warm outdoor clothing including waterproofs
Walking shoes or boots
Tripod (if you have one)
Our main pick up points are Coleraine and Portrush but we can meet you anywhere along the tour route by arrangement.
- We depart Coleraine from Glenara Elite Travel at 10am (beside the bus and rail station) before making our way to the seaside town of Portrush (request pick-up point). We use this part of our journey as an opportunity to find out a bit more about everyone and the kind of pictures you hope to take!
- From there we head to Dunluce Castle for a brief photo op of the dramatic ruined medieval structure.
- Next stop is Bushmills (request pick-up point) home to the world famous Old Bushmills Distillery where we stop for a general introduction to landscape photography over a cup of tea or coffee.
- From Bushmills we wind our way along the coastal road taking in the scenery and a few more photography tips before heading down to Ballintoy Harbour - Game of Thrones filming location. Here we unpack our tripods and in order to capture the picturesque harbour and the other-worldly rock formations.
- Our next stop is the Fullerton Arms, Ballintoy, for a traditional Irish lunch, and perhaps a pint of Guinness seeing as we have a designated driver! Here we have an informal landscape photography workshop and discuss any photography and equipment questions or queries.
- After refuelling it's onto Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. We take in the dramatic rope bridge from an alternative vantage point and there is plenty to explore and photograph at nearby Larybane bay and limestones quarry, also used as a Game of Thrones filming location.
- Next we travel a short distance inland to the mysterious Dark Hedges near Armoy. Another Game of Thrones filming location you will see why these trees attract GoT fans and photographers alike. This is a great location to take your time and really craft an image.
- Then it's onto the Giants Causeway - UNESCO World Heritage site and home of the legendary Finn McCool. The myths and legends surrounding these rock-forms create the perfect backdrop and atmosphere when it comes to capturing their drama on camera.
- You can opt to take the Giants Causeway Visitor Experience as part of your time here (£7.50 when you book online in advance or £9.00 on the day). And there are a couple of cafes nearby and the Causeway Hotel should you need any refreshments.
- A National Trust shuttle bus is available down to (and back up the hill from!) the Causeway Stones for an additional £1 per adult each way, payable directly on the day.
- Our final leg of our journey is back to Coleraine via Bushmills and Portrush, arriving back at the bus and train station around 6pm. As we head back we have the opportunity to answer any photography questions or queries
Finally, should the weather forecast be less than favourable, which it sometimes can be on the coast, we will divert off the coastal route for a tour of the world famous Old Bushmills Distillery. But we'll confirm this in advance.